7 Church Tech Blogs

clipboard imageI see many posts out there that are lists of the “top this” or “top that” and all of them purport to be the top list for that category.

The question I always ask myself is what makes this list the top and by what criteria has the list been achieved. For example, Kent’s list of the Top 100 Church Blogs is one such listing. At the bottom he does attempt to explain the criteria for the listings but phrases like “200 well-known blogs are selected” leave me wondering by who’s measurement or criteria.

This is not to bash Kent’s post, but of those top 130 (there’s a bonus 30 there) I read maybe 5 of them. Not that I think my opinion matters in this… but what I really dislike about the whole idea of lists is the very subjective nature of them.

So, with that firmly in mind here is my listing (no top anything) of Church Tech Blogs that I read and find have value to me.

Hopefully one or more will for you too:

1. ChurchTechMatters.com – CTM has gone from being a one man show by Jim Walton to a place that has a group of christian tech bloggers aged from 15 upwards. CTM’s breadth and depth of content has taken the site to a new dimension and whilst articles aren’t regular, they are all of top quality (NB In the interests of full disclosure I am one of those writers).
  2. 8Bit Network – like CTM, 8bit is a group of church tech bloggers but unlike CTM they update frequently and are targeted across 5 specific areas from Web to IT to Media. The inspiration behind 8Bit is John Saddington (aka human3rror) and if you can cope with high traffic, high volume sites then these are a must add.
  3. Tech, No Babel – in their own words, “TNB is your weekly source for church video, graphics, and tech news, perspectives tips and tricks“. Paul has an interesting blog and like myself will post on any subject close to his heart at the time; be it personal or a tech tip. He used to do a weekly podcast but hasn’t done so for a number of years now – though the archives are still available.
  4. ChurchIT Help is run by Barry Buchannan and was one of the first christian tech blogs I ever read. Since then Barry and I have struck up an online friendship. Like most personal blogs his topics are widespread but alas he hasn’t been active for some time on the tech blog. These days he puts his time into his daily tech toon but does occasionally post an article.
  5. ChurchTechToday is written by Lauren Hunter and is a must read for myself. Lauren writes on her desire to “help churches do ministry better through internet-related technological advancements, whether it’s through using church management software, online newsletters, or cutting-edge social communities to spread the Gospel“.
  6. Jason Powell – Jason’s site is written from the perspective of a full time Church IT Director. Being a self titled blog it can cover every aspect under the sun but mostly good tech stuff and other bits that relate to the CITRT.
  7. The Beta Version – Greg is, like me, an IT professional and whilst this blog isn’t purely about tech, it is very much about the Church, his role within in it and how he works that out.

There you have it, just some of the many I read.

Enjoy.

Do you have any you care to recommend I add to my regular reading list?

26 Responses to “7 Church Tech Blogs”

1. April 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

Thanks! It's an honor to be on your reading list :-)
    Sadly, I must confess these days I rarely read blogs unless I see them mentioned in #citrt tweets or stuff I find in my google alerts.
    I might be worth noting that there is a Church IT blog aggregator:http://citrt.org/planet/ and Clif Guy has a long Church IT blogroll as wellhttp://clifguy.com/2007/04/28/church-it-blogroll/
    Thanks Stuart for all your efforts to better equip the Church,
    Jason Powell
    My recent post Recommended Church IT Vendor/Partner List Ideas?

• April 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

My pleasure Jason – yours was one of the very first christian tech blogs I ever read.

I knew about the Church IT blog aggregator – after all I am on it but for whatever reason I don't warrant a read from Clif – such is life. But I guess the point of making others aware of these lists is more important ;-)

2. April 28, 2010 at 5:36 am #

What about me? I didn't make the cut :-(
    Not feeling the love Stuart *sob*

Seriously, you're list is a good quick ready reference to hit up every now then. Much like Jason, I mostly rely on CITRT folk posting links in Twitter rather than trolling through blogs myself. Case in point, I visited your blog because of your tweet about "Privileged Authority"

Keep up the good work.
    Neil :-)
    My recent post My tweets for today…

3. April 28, 2010 at 6:36 am #
  4. April 28, 2010 at 8:44 am #

Ah but yours isn't a blog to read per se. Much more a place when you think to yourself – "what was it Neil twittered about" as searching twitter is a nightmare. All your tweets are there nice and easy.

But you are on my RSS reader – the above are just 7 of the very many along with twitter – I sometimes wonder how I manage to fit it all in :)

And thanks for the blog love – I make it a concious plan to always tweet my posts now whether useful or not ;)

5. May 4, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

nice list, I know somewhat or 8bit and the cool stuff going down there, but I much check out the rest :)
    My recent post SA Twitter Report

6. May 5, 2010 at 6:52 am #

gosh – I just see now; just how bad my spelling is. ha ha ha.
    sorry
    My recent post SA Twitter Report

7. May 5, 2010 at 6:52 am #

gosh – I just see now; just how bad my spelling is. ha ha ha.
    sorry
    My recent post SA Twitter Report

8. May 5, 2010 at 8:28 am #
  9. May 9, 2010 at 3:15 pm #
  10. May 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

Wow. Thanks so much for the mention. It feels good to know someone is reading. I'm hoping to relaunch the podcast portion soon.

Paul
    Tech, no Babel
    My recent post links for 2010-05-07

• May 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

That is good to hear Paul. I look forward to their relaunch.

11. October 3, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

You are more than welcome Lauren – I love reading your blog although I don't always respond to it I am reading it.

12. May 31, 2011 at 8:38 am #

How about pro worship technics? It covers technology among other things: http://www.proworship.in
    My recent post You Know the Worship Leader is Messed Up When

• May 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks for the pointer – first look means I'll be coming back to read more.

I trust you'll you do the same here?

13. June 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Sure, wud love to, pls send the topic by email, thx.

14. click
    December 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Howdy! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you

know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when

viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that

might be able to correct this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.

Many thanks!

• December 6, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

No problems – would love to know what your blog is as well but the answer to your question is to use a template like: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wptouch/ which recognises when a mobile client visits and 'takes over' your standard template.

15. May 4, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

Yup, I've seen you commenting over on 8bit too. We must share the love around eh?

16. May 5, 2010 at 7:15 am #

Ha – you and me both. I think it's my typing though rather than my spelling – as I was my year spelling champion a number of times in school.

17. May 5, 2010 at 7:28 am #

My recent post SA Twitter Report

18. May 5, 2010 at 7:28 am #

My recent post SA Twitter Report

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 7 Church Tech Blogs -- Topsy.com - April 25, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by techise . techise said: 7 Church Tech Blogs http://bit.ly/dvacWV [...]

2. Tech Tools | 3CCD Video Camera - April 25, 2010